Pro Ortho: Even Stars Get Injured
The Internet is a wealth of news and information and celebrities seem to take up a lot of air time. Some newsworthy, others useless, but nonetheless it grabs our attention. Orthopedic injuries sometimes take center stage in the entertainment industry. And while sports figures are usually in the limelight about one injury or another, we’ve compiled a list of orthopedic injuries that we thought might pique your interest.
- Pink – During her Funhouse Tour in 2009, the famous singer-songwriter separated her shoulder while on a trapeze.
- Jennifer Grey – She had back surgery in 2012 to repair a ruptured disc in her back while performing on Dancing with the Stars season finale.
- Liza Minnelli – Years of dancing caught up with her and had knee replacement surgery in 2010.
- Bono – U2 singer Bono underwent emergency back surgery in May 2012. His injury: severe compression of the sciatic nerve and a serious tear in the ligament and a herniated disc.
- Dana Torres – The Olympic Medal Swimmer had undergone a cutting-edge procedure on her knee to repair severe arthritis in 2010.
- Phil Collins – He had surgery to repair dislocated neck vertebrae in April 2009.
- Soledad O’Brien – She injured herself on a horseback riding excursion, tore out her knee and had reconstructive surgery.
- Big Boi – The rapper hurt himself in a performance at the Summer Camp Fest in Chillicothe, IL. He jumped and landed badly and had torn a patella tendon.
- Peyton Manning – During the 2011 NFL season, he had neck surgery.
- Lance Armstrong – He had a cycling accident in 2009 with a clavicle fracture.
- Tom Brady – In the 2008 NFL season, he had an ACL tear.
- Joe Paterno – The former football coach of Penn state had a tibial plateau fracture.
- Floyd Landis – The cyclist had surgery for his hip osteonecrosis.
- Frankie Hejduk – This MLS player had an ACL tear repaired.
- Ronald Reagan – The former President of the United States had work done for his hip fracture.
- Donovan McNabb – During the 2005 NFL season, he had work done to repair his sports hernia.
- Drew Brees – In the 2005 NFL season, he had a shoulder dislocation.
- Gwyneth Paltrow – When she broke her knee and it was discovered that she had osteopenia, a pre-cursor to osteoporosis.
- Kobe Bryant – This basketball player for the Los Angeles Lakers underwent surgery to repair a torn left Achilles tendon in April 2013.
- Misty May-Treanor – The Olympian and volleyball superstar underwent surgery to repair a torn Achilles tendon in October 2008, when she injured herself while rehearsing a dance routine for the television series "Dancing with the Stars."
Sprains, strains, or fractures, ProOrtho treats a variety of orthopedic injuries. Call 425-823-4000 to schedule your appointment and let them treat you back to health and make you a star!Back