Find a Physician
Patient Account RepresentativePrint
Job SummaryProOrtho, a division of Proliance Surgeons, Inc., currently has an opening for a Patient Account Representative.
Job DescriptionPosted: 01/22/2020
JOB DESCRIPTION: Patient Account Representative, non-exempt position
The role of the Patient Account Representative is to provide billing assistance and general support to the business office. This includes complete patient account representation from the data entry of charges and payments and adjustments through the handling of billing inquiries, in person and via the phone.
Reports to: Billing Office Manager
The essential qualities necessary include, but are not limited to:
- Patient and pleasant personality - works well with a variety of people
- Flexible attitude - adaptable to new challenges and/or projects
- Team player
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Excellent public relations
- Interfaces well with staff and physicians
- Professional demeanor
Duties and Responsibilities
The Business Office Representative is expected to perform position-related duties that include, but are not limited to:
- Troubleshoot and problem solve accounts
- Posting of private and insurance payments/vouchers
- Completing adjustments to patient accounts
- Updating of patient insurance information, including memo entry for billing documentation
- Customer service - answer billing inquiries from patients and/or healthcare providers
- Create refunds for patient or insurance over-payments
- Sorting mail
- Collect co-pays/pre-pays
- Charge entry
- Follow collection process; includes written and verbal correspondence with patients on unpaid claims
- Write protest/appeal letters to insurance companies
- Rebill accounts
- Assist other personnel as directed by Billing Manager
- Minimum two years patient account experience
- Medical office experience (desired)
- High School education
- Problem solving skills
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to read EOB’s (explanation of benefits)
- Knowledge of CPT and ICD9 coding
- Skill in basic data entry; 10-key proficiency
- Skill in using a computer
- Ability to exhibit cooperation, flexibility, and provide assistance when interfacing with patients, physician and staff
- Ability to multi-task
- Skill in organizing and reporting information that is accurate and complete
- Knowledge of basic math skills
- Understanding and respecting the need for confidentiality
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all staff
- Ability to prepare records in accordance with detailed instructions
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to communicate effectively in person and on the phone
- Consistency and timeliness in attendance
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The work environment/physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, and sit. Work is performed in an office environment. Some bending and stretching required. Use of telephone is required. Manual dexterity required for use of computer keyboard. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 25 pounds. Requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours.
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements of a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
How to Apply:
Submit your cover letter and resume via the form below or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include "Patient Account Representative" in the subject line.